Saturday, October 9, 2010

Animals of Haiti

Cows and goats are frequent visitors of our little house in the village. In the beginning when I heard footsteps outside my window at 5 AM I got worried, but that’s usually just the friendly neighborhood cow.

I know it's not a cow. Couldn't find any cow pics.
Lizards of all kinds are common and quite impressive with different colors and patterns.. They are not edible so naturally they thrive.
However, without a doubt, the most widely spread animal in Haiti is the mosquito. It’s a wet season here (rains nearly daily, and we’re now in the middle of our second real storm), which means its high-season for mosquitoes as well. Even the locals that seem to adjust / accept nearly anything think that the mosquito attacks of the last few days are too much. We practically bathe in OFF (anti-mosquito spray) and I find myself abandoning my basic affection to living creatures and furiously chasing them around.

No comments:

Post a Comment